Friday, July 14, 2006

Confession of a Site Administrator: The View of Charity

Editors: I have decided to break this confession into two parts in the interest of brevity.

This site administrator has a confession: I am a Libertarian. Fiscally conservative and for the most part, socially liberal on the left—I am a middle of the road type person. I am a pragmatist. This drives my friends and colleagues to explode in anger at me often.

Well, not necessarily explode, but we have very heated debates. I don’t be believe, I know anybody who is an IED (Intermittent Explosive Disorder).

I am believer in self-promotion, and personal responsibility with the “corporate entity” of society, of the people, to sustain the rule of law. In essence, that we, as a culture, define our character, as a civilization, by the deeds we do as a people in terms of the social contract by the treatment of each other, well or poorly. We, (the collective), as individuals, as groups, as “corporate interests” ought to try to aspire, and inspire to be better than the “we” both the group and the individual aspect of the word.

This is not always possible. I certainly can attest to that, however—and what is important—is that we try. Sometimes a person’s may be hurt by a simple misunderstanding. We, they, or I may feel bad –but in the moment of controversy-we find the generosity of the heart. For me, this year it is the Blogathon 2006 on July 29th twenty-four hours of blogging for charity.


To give to a charity is one of the most socially responsible acts one can do for their community. I do believe the government, at time, ought to lead the way to aspire, to inspire the citizenry to recognize and embrace the differences of individuality, expression, and the promotion of free liberty of “consenting adults.”

This means for me that, government’s role is limited to support its citizenry, to provide defense, and to impart and apply the laws put forth by its citizenry—and to know that it is tempered by the people who entrusted it with the power to enforce those laws. This temperament is not to be found by the Executive, or the US Congress—but the Courts.

Needless to say, and to return to my point, charity is best expressed through the individual. Recently, Warren Buffett, American investor, stock speculator, and entrepreneur will donate the bulk of his wealth nearly 85 percent of it to the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation (that dedicates itself with the disenfranchised and providing educational opportunities to all).

In my case, I am not a billionaire, not yet anyway. Not a millionaire, or a thousandaire, on a good month yes, but I feel compelled like Buffett to contribute toward my community en masse.

So, I return to Blogathon 2006 to illustrate the part of this participation with my community. At present, I have been part of the world of online blogging. I am addicted, may be compulsive, a traffic exchange site that I spend most of time with BlogExplosion (BE). This is a place where one is suppose to be able to view other blogs.

Although, at times, I haven’t always agreed with my fellow BE’ers or adjoin their perspectives, I do believe in their organizations they are representing and that trumps associations. In essence, to aspire and to inspire for a better world even if I do not agree with their politics or world view, what matters are those ideas, ideals, and beliefs that can move a community forward together despite polarizing differences. I have chosen the Maryland branch of SPCA (Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals), WWF (World Wildlife Fund), WHSA (television station) Crusade for Children.

First up, referred to as B, by most, and Ano by others. She has two blogs one of them as a personal journal, All-Nite.org and the other, a expose of serial killers, Dead Silence. She is also NASCAR fanatic—and she is an animal lover.

This is our common ground—the animals—not the NASCAR. A few years back, I had to give away my cats due to change of a living situation (too long to recount). Anyway, it is our love for animals that we share, she has expressed on a number of occasions, both public and privately, that if she had the money she would start a pet sitting service or an animal shelter. Recently, I found out the she is a bit of a crime buff. As I mentioned before, her blog Dead Silence, she does a very good job relaying the aspects of the crime stories of serial killers.


Needless to say, B’s passion for animals endears one’s heart, these are the words she uses to describe why her charity is the Maryland SPCA:

“Their slogan is “We are their voice” and I couldn’t agree more. Animals depend on us. They can’t tell us “hey, my owner beats me” or “I’m not feeling too well.” They depend on us to keep an eye out for them, to watch out for their welfare. I don’t see pets as just another animal. To me, they are furry little people and it breaks my heart to hear about abuse and neglect. The ASPCA website features many ways to help raise awareness about the abuse that goes on in this country. On their website, they list ways to help fight and prevent cruelty. The first thing is just to be aware of what’s going on around you. Does your neighbors dog look a little too thin? Is he/she outside 24-7 with no shelter, food or water? Have you actually seen someone hit or abuse an animal? Remember, if no one reports it, is it happening? No. If it goes unreported it will continue to happen. Step up and report it!

They also list ways to help teach your children about animals. Remember, kids are the future and they need to learn to respect everyone, including animals. It’s well known that most serial killers started out by abusing and killing animals. Don’t take things like that lightly. Talk to your kids, teach them that animal’s breath and live just like we do. They need to be treated with kindness and a soft touch.”

I met this next blogger, in the BE shout box and she is one of the nicest persons thus far in the blogosphere. There are those who claim to be sweet as peaches, but are pitted people throughout even holding grudges from a third grade rival. Ahem, sorry I digress. She, however, is not as far one can tell these things over a cyberlink. Her passion is for children, our interest to help kids physically and mentally challenged, therein lays our common ground.

She is another blogger of the personal journal type, known as the Long, Slow, Beautiful Dance, has her, Laci, also known as ProducerChic, aesthetic design blog illustrates one of the childhood transition from the world of wonder to the world of change. The feel of blog is if one is pondering to go through the “looking glass,” but is waiting for Alice in Wonderland returns. Well, this Alice is all grown up. It has a populist Matrix feel. As for Laci, her personality is well communicated throughout her blog. She is an outgoing, no bull type that, encourages, and helps other bloggers when she can. She is a big hearted person.

In that vain, the charity she has chosen reflects that big heart, although it is related to where she works. She is sponsoring WHSA Crusade for Children. It was established by the local television station in 1954 that she works at, and has raised over $115 million during the years. All the money stays locally, in the state of Kentucky, and 100% of the money is used in giving children in need charitable grants.

As a Libertarian, this is kind of “corporate citizenry" I speak of, in which, the citizenry provides the services needed to the community instead of relying on the expansion of government to do it for the disadvantaged and displaced.

This past year, the station rose over $5 million in its annual weekend of fund raising. So, if you come across her blog send a contribution via her (link), or to the WHSA Crusade for Children directly.


End Part 1.


Posted at 9:57 PM

1 Comments

  • Blogger Laci posted at 1:06 PM  
    Greg, thanks for the support and the fantastic write up. :)
  • Post a Comment

    « Home